|CIBC Infinite Dividend Visa||Best value for money again on petrol|
• $120 annual fee
• 4% Cashback on Gasoline and Groceries
•2% on meals, daily transit andrecurrentpayments
|Tangerine Cash-Again Mastercard*||Best value for money again on petrol at no charge|
• No annual fee
• 2% cash back on unlimited purchases in two classes with petrol
• 2% in two different classes of expenses
|TD Money Again Visa Infinite*||Best for roadside assistance|
• $139 annual fee
• 3% Gas Cashback(up to $15,000 per yearly)
• Free emergency services companies in the form of TD Auto Membership Deluxe
|Scotiabank Gold American Categorical*||Best for gasoline and travel|
• $120 annual fee
• Earn 3 Scotia Rewards factors per $1 spent on gas
• Travel benefits that do not include foreign transaction fees; and emergency medical services, travel cancellation, flight delays, lost luggage and accident insurance
|Canadian Tire Triangle Mastercard*||Best for Canadian Tire Gasoline|
• No annual fee
• Earn $0.05 per liter at Fuel+ stations
• 4% CT Cash on purchases from Canadian Tire Advertisement Stores
|PC Monetary World Elite Mastercard*||The best for petrol in Esso|
• No annual fee
•Get at least 30 BG Optimum coefficients per liter at Esso and Mobil stations
Canada's best bank card for gasoline in the extra element
ByKeph SenettTHAT24 maja 2023 r
Estimated learning time: 12 minutes
Fuel prices tend to be very substantial, especially for Canadians who commute daily or are in a hybrid scenario – and that is largely beyond our individual management. By using the exact bank card when topping up, you will get your petrol bills back. But which card to choose? We break down the options on our checklist of the perfect gasoline bank cards.
Discover your next bank card*
The biggest money again bank card for gasoline
CIBC Infinite Dividend Visa
With Dividend Visa Infinite, CIBC provides a strong contender in the money-again banking card class, especially for drivers, and much more if you happen to add a grocery bill to that card. With a 4% rebate on fuel, electric vehicle charging and groceries, this card aims to put money back in your pocket. There are various bonus classes to earn money again, along with 2% on daily transport (including rides and public transport), so you get rewards on all modes of transport, in addition to 2% on meals and recurring funds.
- Annual Fee:120 $
- interest rates:20.99% on purchases, 22.99% on cash advances (21.99% for Quebec residents), 22.99% on stability transfers
- Earn tax on gasoline:4%
- Rewards for various purchases:4% cashback on groceries and electric vehicle charging, 2% cashback on meals, daily transportation and recurring payments, and 1% cashback on all other items
- Welcome to give:You will be able to earn a 15% cashback welcome bonus of up to $300 (first 4 statements).
- Additional benefits:Emergency medical travel; car rental collision and damage insurance; mobile system insurance; plus save up to $0.10 per liter at participating Chevron, Ultramar and Pioneer gas stations when you link your card to Journie Rewards.
- Required annual income:Personal income of $60,000 or family income of $100,000
The biggest free money again petrol bank card
Tangerine Cash-Again Mastercard*
The Tangerine Cash-Again Mastercard has no annual fee and offers simple cash rewards, making it attractive to many Canadians.Debit cardholders are rewarded with 2% cash back on unlimited purchases in two classes of their choice, along with gasoline, groceries, restaurants and pharmacies. Choose to have your money automatically deposited directly into the Tangerine Savings Account for a 2% 3rd class refund. (You earn 0.5% on all other chips.) Additionally, within the first 30 days of accepting your card, you can upgrade your balance from higher interest cards to a low promotional rate of 1.95% for six months (plus a 1% fee). For many who want to cash in on gas purchases without paying for the privilege, this simple card is a winner.
- Annual Fee:$0
- interest rates:19.95% on purchases, 19.95% on advance payments, 19.95%on stability transfers
- Earn tax on gasoline:2% money back
- Rewards for various purchases:2% in two different classes of expenses to choose from and 0.5% cashback on all other items.
- Welcome to give:You will again be able to earn an extra 10% on as much as $1,000 on regular purchases in the first 2 months. The application must be submitted by July 5, 2023 at the latest.
- Additional benefits:Buy insurance and extended warranty
- Required annual income:12 000 $
The best petrol bank card with roadside assistance
TD Money Again Visa Infinite*
TD Money Again Visa Infinite is a powerful cash back card that offers 3% back on gas, groceries and recurring invoice funds (and again 1% on all other parts). Gasoline Tax Refund may be enough to put the Card on our checklist, but it's certainly Roadside Assistance (among its various extras) that makes it an excellent driver card. Cardholders have free toll companies in the form of included Deluxe membership with TD Auto membership. This package includes 24 hour emergency calls, towing, lockout and gaming companies, emergency guest transport in the event of an accident, meals, lodging and claims, and even a choice of refunds for items TD Auto membership was unable to help. In addition, cardholders have auto loss and collision insurance and discounts with Avis and Finances. For frequent commuters or day-trippers, these benefits may simply cover the annual carton fee.
- Annual Fee:$139 (waived for first 12 months)
- interest rates:20.99% on purchases, 22.99% on advance payments, 22.99%on stability transfers
- Earn tax on gasoline:3% money back(as much as $15,000 in annual expenses)
- Rewards for various purchases:3% cash back on groceries and recurring bill funds (as much as $15,000 in annual expenses); Again 1% on all other items.
- Welcome to give: Earn 10% cashback for the first three months on purchases up to $2,000. Plus, get a discount on the annual fee for the first year for first and additional cardholders. You must apply online by May 28, 2023. Quebec residents, please continue clicking here.
- Additional benefits:Car benefits such as rental insurance, discounts on car leasing and Deluxe membership with TD Auto membership; travel insurance including medical travel and delayed or lost luggage; access to Visa Infinite concierge-like benefits and free room upgrades while traveling.
- Required annual income:Personal income of $60,000 or family income of $100,000
The best travel bank card for petrol
Scotiabank Gold American Categorical*
If you want to turn your gas purchases into factors, look no further than the Scotiabank Gold American Categorical bank card. This card runs across the Scotia Rewards program, which allows collectors to redeem their factors for travel rewards, merchandise, gift cards and even credit scores to ensure the stability of their card. Cardholders receive 3 Scotia Rewards factors for every dollar spent on qualifying purchases from gas, transit and streaming companies, and 5 factors for every $1 spent on groceries, meals and leisure. Take advantage of the fuel factor program of your choice and earn much more.
- Annual Fee:120 $
- interest rates:20.99% on purchases, 22.99% on advance payments, 22.99%on stability transfers
- Earn tax on gasoline:3 Scotia Rewards factors per $1
- Rewards for various purchases:5Scotia reward factors per $1 spent on groceries, meals and leisure, 3 factors per person $1 spent on public transportation, ridesharing, taxis and online streaming companies, 1 tier per person $1 spent on all other parts.
- Welcome to give:You'll be able to earn up to $650 in value in the first 12 months, along with up to 40,000 Scene+ bonus factors. The application must be submitted by 31 October 2023 at the latest.
- Additional benefits:No foreign transaction fees; emergency medical travel, travel cancellation, flight delay, lost baggage and accident insurance; safety in the event of a car rental collision; resort or motel burglary insurance; purchase security and extended warranty; free concierge service; Access to the VIP lounge at the airport with the Precence Move option.
- Required annual income:12 000 $
Canadian Tire's best gasoline debit card
Canadian tireMastercard Triangle*
If you're a loyal Canadian tire buyer, you're probably already familiar with Canadian Tire (CT) Cash. A famous rewards program that dates back to the 1950s. Currently, this system is digital, but the alternate fee remains the same: $1 in CT cash is the same as $1. With the free Triangle Mastercard, you get 4% back on purchases at Canadian Tire and partner stores such as Sport Chek and Mark's/L'Équipeur, as well as 1.5% back on groceries (except Walmart and Costco). In addition, you have access to various benefits, such as a fee-free and interest-free financing program that helps you pay off larger purchases in installments.Moreover, Canadian Tire recently announced that Triangle members can earn rewards at Petro-Canada gas stations along with Fuel+ stations starting in 2024.
- Annual Fee: $0
- interest rates:19.99% on purchases, 22.99% on advance payments, 22.99%on stability transfers
- Earn tax on gasoline:$0.05 per liter of gasoline purchased from Fuel+
- Rewards for various purchases:4% in CT Cash for expenses at Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, Mark's/L'Équipeur, Environment, Occasion Metropolis, Sports Activities Rousseau, Hockey Consultants, L'Entrepôt du Hockey and Sports Activities Consultants partners stores; 1.5% in CT Cash for groceries up to $12,000 per year.
- Welcome to give:There is no welcome offer at the moment.
- Additional benefits:No fees, interest-free financing; access to apartments for members only; matched gives
- Required annual income:NO
The best petrol bank card in Esso
PC Monetary World Elite Mastercard*
The PC Optimum program is arguably one of Canada's hottest rewards packages, in part due to its flexibility and ease of use, allowing you to redeem up to $1,000. The free Monetary World Elite Mastercard PC card provides fast-growing alternatives at Buyers Drug Mart and Loblaw family convenience stores such as No-Frills, Actual Canadian Superstore and Fortinos, and at over 4,500 Esso and Mobil gas stations across Canada. The last one is where you get at least 30 factors on. liters (fees vary by location). PC Optimum factors can be exchanged for a fee of 10,000 factors (equivalent to $10) simply by presenting your card to a participating retailer. At Esso, you can exchange refrigerants for gasoline and car washes.
Our method: How we determine the perfect playing cards
The MoneySense editorial team selects the perfect bank cards by evaluating the value they deliver to Canadians across classes. Our best petrol rating bank cards are based on an intensive checklist of card information and options - highlighting the people who matter to drivers - along with annual fees, interest rates, welcome offers, rewards, accrued fees, annual fueling needs earnings and allowances corresponding to insurance and roadside assistance. Our rankings are an objective data offering for Canadians. Adding hyperlinks from affiliate partners does not affect the results. Learn more abouthow MoneySense makes money.
Constantly asked questions
Extra of the best in CanadaCredit card:
Which means *?
If a hyperlink has an asterisk (*) at the end, it means that it is an affiliate hyperlink and may typically end up being charged to MoneySense (owned by Ratehub Inc.), keeping our site free for our customers. Please note that these hyperlinks will never affect our editorial content. We are committed to looking at all articles on the market, and a product's position in our article, or whether it is featured first or not, is not based on compensation. For additional information, please see our
MoneySense income coverage.
Can you use a Canadian credit card at a US gas station? ›
Did you know that you can use your Canadian credit card at a U.S. gas pump? Yes, you heard that right. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY INSIDE ANYMORE!What is the best fuel card to use? ›
1. FuelGenie – Best for lowest fees. Summary FuelGenie is a pretty remarkable fuel card provider and our top overall choice for small businesses. Unlike all of its rivals, it charges no basic fees, so no account fee, no transaction fee, even no card replacement fee.Which credit card is best for fuel and grocery? ›
|Credit Card||Annual Fee||Fuel Benefit|
|IndianOil HDFC Credit Card||Rs. 500||5% of fuel spends as fuel points|
|ICICI HPCL Coral Credit Card||Rs. 199||2.5% cashback at HPCL fuel stations|
|BPCL SBI Card||Rs. 499||Up to 4.25% value back on fuel expenses|
Every time you use a Canadian credit card while in the U.S., you're charged a foreign transaction fee, which is typically 2.5% of your purchase. That's an additional $25 on every $1,000 you spend! And if you're thinking that you've never seen this charge on your credit card statement, you're right.Which U.S. credit card works in Canada? ›
Visa and Mastercard are the most widely accepted networks, and you should be able to use their cards at any merchants that take credit cards in Canada.How do Canadians pay for gas in USA? ›
Just do this: swipe your card as normal at the pump. When it asks for your zip code, key in the number digits of your postal code followed by zeros to make up 5 digits (there's 5 digits in a US postal code). For example, my postal code is K0H1K0 so I key in the zero, the one and the last zero.Is a fuel credit card worth it? ›
Fuel credit cards can be helpful to consumers in the wake of rising fuel prices. However, individuals opting for such a card should manage their finances well and adhere to the repayment cycle or else it will impact their credit score.Which fuel card is accepted everywhere? ›
No transaction fees
The Voyager card is accepted at over 97% of all retail gas stations and truck stops in the United States, giving drivers significant flexibility without any transaction fees.
|Credit Card||Gas Rewards||Minimum Credit Required|
|Shell Drive for Five® card||5 cents off per gallon at branded gas stations||600|
|Sunoco Rewards credit card||6 cents off per gallon at branded gas stations||600|
|Blue Cash Everyday® from Amex||2% cash back at U.S. gas stations||700|
There are two types of credit cards that could be considered gas credit cards. One type is issued by gas stations, and the other is a more general rewards card that offers bonus rewards for gas purchases.
How do I get a maximum discount on fuel? ›
- PhonePe Petrol and Diesel Offer. The first tip to save on fuel price is paying for your transaction using PhonePe. ...
- Mobikwik Petrol Offer. Get 100% Up to Rs. ...
- IndianOil HDFC Bank Credit Card. ...
- Fyool App. ...
- Fuel Credit Cards. ...
- IndianOil XtraRewards Loyalty Program.
They help you avoid unfavorable foreign exchange rates and fees – and the risk that your Canadian card won't be accepted. They're also faster than writing checks and much safer than carrying cash.Can I use my US bank card in Canada? ›
Yes. Cards issued by U.S. Bank can be used in most foreign countries for transactions.Do Canadian gas stations take American money? ›
Canada accept USD cash or Credit card at shopping malls, restaurants, hotels, gas stations and games.Should I bring cash to Canada? ›
Any time you enter or leave Canada, you must declare any money or monetary instruments, such as stocks, bond or cheques, you are carrying valued at $10,000 or more.Is there a Bank of America in Canada? ›
Bank of America N.A., Canada Branch (BANA CB), based in Toronto, is a full-service branch accepting deposits and making loans. It provides products and services to corporate, institutional and commercial customers.Can I use my Canadian credit card internationally? ›
If you use your Canadian credit card outside of Canada or for any foreign currency transactions, you pay a foreign currency conversion fee of 2.5%.How do Canadians pay at the pump in US? ›
When asked for your zip code, simply enter the three numbers of the Canadian postal code for the billing address associated with your credit card, followed by two zeros. For example, if the postal code for your credit card's billing address is F1F 2F3, you would enter 12300 as your zip code.Is gas cheaper in Canada or USA? ›
Gas is always cheaper in the US than Canada, for a variety of reasons, one of which is taxes. Simply enter the town or city you are looking for prices. Note that gas is sold in litres in Canada. One US gallon = 3.79 litres.Is fuel cheaper in Canada or USA? ›
Most of the difference in gasoline prices between Canada and United States is because of taxes. Gasoline taxes vary by state and province and at each national level. When taxes are removed, Canadian and American prices are similar.
Is it safer to use credit card for gas? ›
With this added information, criminals can commit debit card fraud and withdraw funds directly from bank accounts, as well as make fraudulent credit card purchases. For this reason, it's always better to use a credit card at a gas station rather than a debit card.What is the disadvantage of fuel card? ›
Disadvantages: Restricted to Business Use Only – Fuel card accounts can only be set up by businesses, so can't be set up for personal use. Find out more about who can apply for fuel cards here.Do gas credit cards build credit? ›
Some gas cards are fairly easy to get approved for, either because they are gas-only credit cards or regular rewards cards geared to consumers with poor credit. Gas cards report to the three credit bureaus, which can help you build credit over time. Gas cards can help you earn rewards or discounts when you fill up.Is there a universal gas card? ›
Yes, there is a universal gas card, the 76® Universal Card, which can be used at 95% of U.S. gas stations and offers up to 7 cents off per gallon at 76, Conoco, and Phillips 66 stations.What is WEX Canada? ›
WEX is a global leader in financial technology solutions. We simplify the complexities of payment systems across continents and industries, with specialized solutions for Fleet, Corporate Payments, and Benefits. About WEX. Executive leadership team.What credit score do you need for a fuel card? ›
What credit score do you need for a gas card? You'll need a 640 credit score or higher for most gas cards. This means at least fair credit is required for approval. If you have fair credit, you may qualify for gas cards from specific stations such as the Phillips 66 Credit Card or the ExxonMobil Gas Card.What is the best gas brand? ›
Chevron. Of America's largest nationwide chains, Chevron scores the highest points in overall customer satisfaction. Its reach spans over 7,800 stores, and while some gas stations offer convenient food marts, one location in North Hollywood goes above and beyond gasoline.Why is gas cheaper with a credit card? ›
This is because the gas station owners pay an interchange fee to the payment networks. They often pass this fee on to the consumer to recoup that additional cost. An interchange fee is part of every credit card transaction that a merchant processes. The merchants themselves do not keep this money though.Should I have 3 credit cards? ›
It's generally recommended that you have two to three credit card accounts at a time, in addition to other types of credit. Remember that your total available credit and your debt to credit ratio can impact your credit scores. If you have more than three credit cards, it may be hard to keep track of monthly payments.What is the easiest gasoline card to get? ›
- Capital One Quicksilver Secured Cash Rewards Credit Card. ...
- Discover it® Secured Credit Card. ...
- U.S. Bank Cash+® Secured Visa® Card. ...
- Exxon Mobil Smart Card+™ ...
- Shell Fuel Rewards® Card® ...
- Sunoco Rewards Credit Card.
How do I get gas with credit? ›
How to use a credit card to buy gas. Most gas pumps will ask you to insert your card before you can pump. Follow the directions and be sure to select the “credit" option. Select your grade, start pumping and release the handle when you've reached the amount that you want to put in.Can I use my Capital One credit card for gas? ›
Cash-Back Rewards Cards
With the Capital One Quicksilver card, you earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day. Whether you're using your card to fill up on gas, buy pet food or snag a snazzy pair of shoes, you're earning as you buy.
Source: GlobalPetrolPrices.com. As of October 31, 2022. Represents average household prices. At an average $11.10 per gallon, households in Hong Kong pay the highest for gasoline in the world—more than double the global average.What is a fuel discount? ›
It is the discounted cost you get if you pay with cash, and it's determined based on marketplace competition. Typically, it's six cents/gallon cheaper than the credit price.What is fuel rebate? ›
Rebates are typically based on how much fuel you purchase at the issuing brand every month, so rebates are directly tied to buying loyalty to one brand. Your rebates will show up as a credit on your invoice based on the number of qualified gallons purchased.Is it good to have a U.S. account in Canada? ›
If you've ever tried to conduct financial transactions across the border, you know that trying to transact in a foreign currency can incur high foreign transaction and conversion fees. Exchange rates are unpredictable as well. This is where having a U.S. dollar bank account is especially handy.What is the advantage of having a US bank account in Canada? ›
Key Cross-Border Banking Benefits for Canadians
Pay bills, transfer and receive money with your U.s. bank account and routing number through Online Banking. If you have a U.S. cell number, you can use 3rd party apps to send and receive money from friends, family or businesses.
You can apply for these Chase credit cards online by following the Apply Now link. All of these cards are available in Canada.Can an American use an ATM in Canada? ›
Don't stress about using your card to make purchases and to withdraw cash — card acceptance and ATM availability are similar to the US. Canadian merchants accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express credit cards.Can I use my US Chase debit card in Canada? ›
We don't charge fees when you use your card abroad and we'll apply the current Mastercard exchange rate to any purchases you make in the local currency. Local banks may charge their own fees when you use one of their cash machines and you should make sure you understand what these are before making a withdrawal.
Can I withdraw US dollars from TD ATM? ›
You can use your TD Canadian Personal Banking accounts3 to withdraw U.S. currency, at select TD ATM locations.Is it better to pay in Canadian or US dollars? ›
Although Canada and the United States are neighbours and share many ties, most Canadians would agree that they prefer to be paid in local currency. When Canadians travel to the United States, they usually find that they can't pay with CAD. Using local currency is appreciated by the locals.How much cash can I bring into Canada? ›
There are no restrictions on the amount of money you can bring into or take out of Canada, nor is it illegal to do so. However, any time you cross the border, you must declare any currency or monetary instruments you have in your possession that are valued at CAN$10,000 or more.How much is gas in Canada? ›
|Fuel Type||Ontario||Southern Ontario|
|Compressed Natural Gas||85.7||0|
Tips for using a Canadian postal code at U.S. gas pumps
When prompted for your ZIP code, enter the three digits from your postal code, followed by “00.” For example, if your postal code is M4B 1G5, your credit card ZIP code would be 41500. This strategy is recommended by Mastercard.
Most credit cards in Canada charge a foreign transaction fee of 2.5% on any purchase that's not in Canadian dollars. While the fee may seem low, it adds up over time — especially on a vacation where you might make several transactions each day. Fortunately, there are a few credit cards without foreign transaction fees.How do you use a foreign credit card on U.S. gas pumps when it asks for a zip code? ›
If prompted for your ZIP code, just enter the three digits of your postal code plus two zeros. So for example, if your postal code is A2B 3C4, the 5-digit number you should enter is 23400. Contact your card issuer if you have any questions.What happens when you use a US credit card in Canada? ›
US dollar credit cards charge you for purchases in US dollars, and you pay off the balance in US dollars. No foreign transaction fee credit cards, on the other hand, charge your US purchases (and any other foreign purchases) in Canadian dollars, and they don't charge a foreign transaction fee to make the conversion.Can I use my Canadian debit card in USA? ›
Shopping South of the Border
All you need is your debit card and Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access your primary Canadian banking or savings account1 and make purchases at any of the 1,000,000 merchants in the U.S.
Canadian credit cards are available to non-residents and newcomers alike. Even without a credit history in the country, you can sign up for a variety of different cards, including store cards, prepaid cards, and secured credit cards.
Which Canadian bank has the best foreign exchange rates? ›
TD Foreign Exchange is a leader in currency exchange services in Canada. We offer competitive exchange rates to Canadians on all currency exchange services. From transferring funds to a foreign bank account, exchanging money for travel, to converting CAD to USD in your bank account.Is it better to use a credit card in Canada? ›
Use the credit card instead of cash wherever possible. Credit card issuers typically charge fees for international transactions and you may get the best exchange rate and fees lower than those associated with exchanging cash.How to pay US credit card from Canada? ›
- Pay online, through a U.S.-based bank account. ...
- Write cheques from your U.S.-based bank account. ...
- With a U.S.-based credit card. ...
- Through PayPal. ...
- With a Canadian credit card. ...
- Wire transfer or bank draft from your Canada-based USD or CAD bank account.
Setting your travel notice online or through a mobile app
Log into your account on your credit card company's website or app and search for “travel notice" options. If you're unable to find where to set your travel notice, get in contact with your credit card issuer.
Declined fuel purchase attempts are generally the result of swiping the card at the pump or the cashier unsuccessfully authorizing the card for an amount available on the card.Is it better to use a credit card or debit card at the gas pump? ›
A credit card offers additional protection at the pump because the funds are not immediately withdrawn from your account.Is it good to use credit card for gas? ›
Paying with a credit card rather than a debit card or cash gives you more security in the event of fraud. But another reason to consider using a credit card is that some types of purchases result in a hold on your funds. Examples include gas stations, hotels, and rental cars.Why did the gas station charge me $100 credit card? ›
The $100 hold ensures that there are enough funds on your card to pay for gas. When you're finished pumping, the station will charge you for the actual purchase amount, and the $100 gas hold will be released once the transaction is completed, which can take several days.